Records Department


Copies of police reports can be obtained through Records. Any individual who is requesting a copy of a police report needs to call 785-457-3353 and ask for Records. The information you will need to have is preferably the case number, which may have been given to you by the deputy who filed the report. If you do not have the case number, Records is able to look up the information by name, the date of the incident and type of report.
Example: “I was involved in an accident on December 23, 2015, and my name is John Smith.” That would give us enough information to locate the report for you.
Please be advised that juvenile reports and arrest reports are NOT open to the public. Additionally, you will only receive the information that is open to the public with all reports, due to state laws. Generally, this may only be the first page of the report, however it depends on the type of report filed.
The records department is frequently asked why we can’t release a juvenile report to parents of the juveniles. We do not release any information concerning juvenile cases, under any circumstance, in order to protect the juveniles involved.

Offender Registration

We are able to register offenders Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 4:30 pm no appointment is necessary.

KS Offender Registry Search

Driver License Check

You can check the status of your drivers license by following this link to Kansas Department of Revenue.


July 1, 2015
With changes to the open carry of firearms law in the State of Kansas, the Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office offers the following information for those choosing to legally carry a firearm in Pottawatomie County.

Open Carry

  • Firearms may be openly carried on your person or in cars without any license.
  • Establishments may restrict openly carried firearms by posting an approved sign.
  • The minimum age allowable for legal open carry is 18 years of age.
  • Weapons being carried openly should be kept in a holster of some kind both for the purpose of safety and to indicate clearly that the weapon is being carried openly rather than concealed. Retention holsters are recommended.

Concealed Carry

  • A permit is required (if leaving the State of Kansas). The application for this permit can be found on the Kansas Attorney General’s Office website or at Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office Records Office.
  • When carrying concealed, please pay attention to the approved signs and follow them appropriately.
  • For more information on legally carrying concealed, visit the Kansas Attorney General’s Office website.

Constitutional Carry SB 45 (Effective July 1, 2015)

  • The carrying of a concealed firearm is allowed without a concealed carry license issued by the State unless the individual is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal or state law.
  • The carrying of a concealed handgun cannot be prohibited in any building unless the building is posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the Attorney General.
  • The bill states that it is illegal for anyone under 21 years of age to carry any pistol, revolver, or other firearm concealed on one’s person, except when on such person’s land, in their abode, or fixed place of business.

Signs prohibiting open and concealed carry (Approved by the Kansas Attorney General)

State law requires that signs must be approved by the Kansas Attorney General. All other signs will not carry the same legal authority. These signs can be found on this page as well as the Kansas Attorney General’s website.

Basic Gun Safety

  • Always store your firearms unloaded, secured, and away from children.
  • To further protect children from firearm accidents, we suggest that ammunition be stored in a separate location from the firearm.
  • Always use a gun lock, which blocks the trigger or passes through the barrel, if a safe storage box is not available.
  • Always treat a weapon as if it is loaded. Firearm accidents are avoidable in most cases.
  • Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy. Pointing a weapon at another living being comes with great responsibility and great consequences.
  • Participate in a gun safety class to familiarize yourself with the weapon you choose to carry.

For additional information, please consult the following sources:

Kansas Attorney General’s Office (Concealed Carry)
Kansas Attorney General’s Office
Kansas Legislature SB 45 July 1, 2015


Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office Motor Vehicle Enforcement Inspection Program will fully and properly perform a vehicle identification number inspection and verification as required by K.S.A. 1984 Supp. 8-116a, and in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Secretary of Revenue and the policies and procedures of the Patrol.

VIN inspections at our office in Westmoreland is by appointment only. Those appointments can be made with our records department at 785-457-3353 Monday thru Friday. VIN inspections can also be done without an appointment by Sheriff’s Office Deputies at another location in Pottawatomie County, just call our dispatch center at 785-457-3353 to set up a time.

By Appointment on weekends

A fee of $20.00 (cash) is required for Out of State Vehicle Inspections

Pottawatomie County Can NOT do Salvage, Prior Salvage Inspections, Non-Highway Kansas titles, or Vehicles that are 35 years or older (These can only be done by a Kansas Highway Patrol Officer)



We are able to provide finger printing free of charge for in county residents.

Fingerprinting at our office in Westmoreland is by appointment only. Those appointments can be made with our records department at 785-457-3353 Monday thru Friday.

Please note that in 2017 there will be a fee charged for out of county fingerprints. The amount for out of county fingerprints is will be $10.00 beginning on January 1st, 2017.